Saturday, October 24, 2009

The Human Race

Nike held their second annual Human Race today, a 10k that was held in 24 cities and that encouraged all to run no matter where they were. Everyone was asked to wear the technical shirt we were given. I generally don't do this- I save it until I finish the race. But this was pretty cool. They were a reddish orange color. I'm not sure exactly, because I'm partially color blind. Regardless, I liked whatever color I saw. And it reminded me of The Gates, that art installation piece that was in Central Park a few years back. We must have looked pretty cool from an aerial view. I hope there are some photos to check out.

I ran about 2 miles to the start from my apartment. Then I completed the 6.2 mile race. My knee started mildly aching around mile 5.8. So that's almost 8 miles without discomfort. Not bad. I'm feeling much better. Coach Michael, my PT guy, has been working on my leg. I'm going to see him one or two more times before the big race. He tried something new on me last time. Kinesio tape. The first time I saw this in use was on Kerri Walsh, the USA beach volleyball athlete, at the 2008 Olympics. It is flexible breathable tape. That's about it... But hey, it worked for Kerri, right? So I have Kinesio tape on my leg right now. And I'm going to stick with it. It can't hurt and it really may be helping.

So this week I will take my best guess at what pace I'll be running and will email people when to expect me at the different mile markers. I really want to say I can do 8 minute miles, but that's probably not realistic. I did 8 minute miles today relatively comfortably, but it was only 8 miles worth. Eh, I guess being early with my estimate is better than being late!

0 comments:

Post a Comment