Sunday, August 8, 2010

Three Things

How did it become August? My running life now consists of 3 things.

TNT. My second season as a training captain is passing splendidly. We are about at the midpoint and one thing is clear- these participants like to challenge their selves. We make them do speed intervals and they smile. Crazy, huh? Last Tuesday was our first hill workout. It was more of a lesson in form than a true run all out-leave it all on the road type run… but those will come. I’m excited to see how this group reacts. The Hamptons events on October 2nd are first in our lineup. Coach Jim has us monitoring those competing in the full marathon with special attention. We are on schedule, but there isn’t very much wiggle room. Everyone has to stay healthy and keep up with our calendar. Following the calendar is up to the individual. A person will either do the work or not. That’s the thing that truly makes completing a marathon so impressive- the dedication to the training.
[caption id="attachment_164" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Fall Season takes a dip after a long run to Coney Island"][/caption]
What I’ll be keeping my eye on is potential injury. Sometimes a runner may not realize anything is seriously wrong. Others will ignore it and hope it goes away (I’ve done that). Over two months in to training, things will start popping up- knee pain, IT bands, shins, foot pain, etc… And trust me- it’s better to stop and deal with it than to let it get worse and not be able to run/walk on race day, let alone finish. But some open communication with the coaches, discipline, and a bit of luck, this group will be A-OK.

RTB. We are a couple people short for our team. I am getting excited again for this event, but until we have a complete team I am going to be nervous. I’m all for doing an ultra, but I can’t say the same for the others. Everyone I’ve asked would LOVE to do it, but either they are not free or the cost is too high. Yeah, it’s $300. But I always look at is as a vacation.
[caption id="attachment_168" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Wtih Ed and the other Warriors at the Boilermaker in Utica, NY"][/caption]
Am I crazy? Yeah. But so is everyone else who is doing it so I’m not worried. It’s just a reality that not everyone has $300 and free time lying around. I should figure this out this week. Then there’s the question of what will be out next piece of Warriors garb. I’ve made a shirt and a track jacket so far and both freakin rock. The best suggestion I’ve gotten so far is booty shorts with “the warriors” printed on the ass.

NPT. That’s the Northville Placid Trail. My crazy-ass friend (of Consistency Intensity Rest (repeat) fame) talked me into hiking all 133 miles of it. Suggested completion time is 12 days. We’re going to bust it out in 4.5. Why? Because said friend seems to have to take everything to the extreme. And I guess I’m not too far behind. During this stretch, I will not be running. We can call it a 4.5 day cross-training session. I’ll probably do a short easy run the day before we leave to get my legs loose. My fitness is quite good at this point. Actually, I’ve never been fitter. Maybe stronger (college), maybe my endurance has been higher (Summer 2006), but overall I’ve never felt better.
[caption id="attachment_169" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Foreshadowing: Last summer at the trailhead in Lake Placid"][/caption]
My biggest fear (other than bears) is stunting my NYC training and potentially harming my chances at Boston qualifying. Is this going to be too hard? Will I injure myself? I am kind of taking a big risk with this. But it’s not an opportunity that will come again anytime soon. My friend will be moving west immediately after, and though we will has some other crazy adventures (like hopefully running Boston together next April), the time is now for the NPT. And I guess I have enough faith in my fitness and my friend’s judgment to give it a go. So here we go!

0 comments:

Post a Comment