Sunday, July 3, 2011

Coach J.D. and Me

I recently took part in a coach certification seminar given by Team in Training national head coach Jack Daniels.A legend in the world of running, Runner's World labeled him The World's Best Running Coach.  And I was lucky enough to geek out with him a bit in San Diego.


Coach Jack Tupper Daniels, Ph.D.
Coach Daniels is hilarious.  One never knows what to expect when walking into a hotel seminar room.  I'd say 88% of the time you are going to be bored to death.  Not the case here.  Having gone through training seasons as a participant and as a coach with TNT, the material wasn't unfamiliar to me.  I also read his book, "The Running Formula" recently to prep myself for discussion.  I know, I know... I'm a huge geek.  And if you didn't know that yet, well, you're missing out on some great stuff. I left with three new ideas for excel spreadsheets.

As a physiologist, Coach Daniels contributed greatly to the principles running and our understanding of how the body responds to stress (ie, training).  His deep experience has given him a pragmatic understanding of the development of a runner.  One can converse with the coach discussing the effects of altitude on hemoglobin's ability to carry oxygen molecules, or a more anecdotal topic like the time he and his wife went to the Oympics to count the steps per minute of elite runners.

On our way to lunch, I approached the coach to ask him about beginners and run/walk.  We sat together at lunch and I was able to pick his brain further.  Then after the seminar I followed up with some questions on nutrition and glycogen consumption during a run.  There was quite a bit to take away from the day, but here are a few highlights.


180 Steps Per Minute
So Coach Daniels and his wife went to the Olympics and literally counted the stride rate of the world's elite runners.  What he found was middle and long distance runners were always on or near 180 steps per minute. A runner must find a middle ground somewhere between managing two energy consuming actions: taking a step forward (swinging one leg forward and pushing off with the other) and landing (absorbing impact forces of your body which are 2 to 3 times your standing weight).  The less steps you take, the less impact force you have to deal with, but the only way to do this and cover the same ground is to take larger steps, which takes energy.  So yeah, balance.  180 steps per minute.

This stride rate is not exclusive to elite runners.  In fact, Coach Daniels stressed to us that this is one of the most impactful elements we could share with our beginner runners.  I''m happy to say that we've been sharing this tidbit for as long as I can remember.  Are our runners following it?  Hmmm, good question.  Are you?


Breathing Rates
It is always a good idea to breath in time with your steps.  Always.  The rate at which you breath can vary.  Most commonly in a race scenario, a 2-2 is used.  That is, breathe in for two steps, breath out for two steps.  Easy runs can be done at 3-3 or even 4-4.  A runner can also do a 2-3 (breathe in for two steps out for three steps).  A 2-1 is also possible, as Coach Daniels explained it is the most efficient breathing rate (yields the most volume of air transfer per minute), but it is not very common.

Breathing in time to your cadence insures that your body will get a regular dose of oxygen, but also, it will allow your body to exhaust the unwanted carbon dioxide building up in your lungs.  Exhaling deeply is actually more important than inhaling deeply.  Regulating this breathing is also a traditional relaxation technique (tai chi, yoga, etc).

For me, everything starts with my breathing.  It is my best way to regulate my pace and stay focused.  And every once in a while I shake things up with a deep breath to break up my time on the road.

The importance of Easy Pace Running
 If you're training to run a long race, you run long.  Pretty simple. And you can run longer if you are running at an easy pace.  Right?  Your goal is to develop endurance, build a strong base, and stay healthy and easy runs are the way to accomplish this. There is a time for speed work, sometimes incorporated into easy run workouts, but to ignore the importance of easy running invites injury from over training.  I've been guilty of this in the past and I am empathetic to those who just want to run hard all the time.  But it can get you into trouble.

As I said above, I use my breathing to control my pace.  I breathe 2-2 during hard runs of higher effort levels.  And I breathe 3-3 for easy runs.  Sometimes even 4-4. If I cannot maintain my pace while breathing 3-3, I'm going too hard.  Coach Daniels said the same exact thing.  Conversational pace, even if you are not conversing with anyone.

My sister, Josie- a run/walker- completing the Brooklyn Half Marathon along side our brother, Ed.

Run/Walk
Coach Daniels is a huge advocate for run/walk.  He has practiced this technique for his own training. And as a physiologist, he tested the effects of run/walk in his lab with some positive and perhaps surprising results.  It is absolutely possible to be faster as a run/walker than as a runner.

A run/walker is basically doing intervals of hard and easy effort. That easy effort allows the body to recover and a runner can then cover a longer distance than just running alone.  This seems like common sense, sure.  But I want to emphasize just how remarkably the body can recover in a short period.  You may think a run/walk regimen helps just a bit, but Coach Daniels research shows that is is quite significant.


------------------



Changing Seasons
Summer season has wrapped up quite successfully.  The participants were great and I believe they've developed a bond to each other and to running that will stand the test of time.  I am grateful to have been part of it and look forward to future seasons, events, and runs with this crew.  I love seeing Alade running with his friends in the park, knowing that he is infected with the running bug and is passing it on. And having Kate and Ayça in the Fall season, as well as many of the summer mentors, is great.  I look forward to another glorious season full of hard runs, brutal weather, and cheeseburgers.
Lake Placid team the morning of the event

0 comments:

Post a Comment