Friday, June 22, 2012

The Mission


On Sunday the 24th, I will be participating in my first triathlon- the Syracuse Half Ironman, as a practice race.  This is a good time to reflect on how far we've come- me with the training, you with the supporting, and all the funds we've raised together..

I signed up for this ridiculous event for the team and the cause.  That’s the truth.  Sure, I had in the back of my head that I would do an Ironman one day, years into the future, but when the opportunity to fundraise for the LLS and get coached by awesome TNT coaches came up, how could I say no?  The GTS schedule seemed to fit well with the summer marathon season GTS schedule.  It seemed so convenient.  It seemed right.

Coaching.  Running out on the course to find TNTers in Lake Placid.

Let me tell you- there is nothing convenient about training for an Ironman.  I pretended that I understood the time commitment necessary.  Maybe I did actually understand and maybe this is just another case of me overextending myself.  I am an expert at spreading myself too thin.  But the argument that the training schedule was convenient is just ridiculous.  I struggle to fit full workouts in constantly these days.  I’m always tired (more than usual).   I’m not seeing family and friends enough and am breaking commitments, which I hate.  I missed mother’s day.  Sorry, mom.  I feel guilty for missing these things, like a baseball game with the guys.  Baby birthdays.  Helping friends move (especially when they helped me). Time with Emily while we were dating.  And when I miss a workout, I feel equally as guilty. Though I cannot simply blame the Ironman for all these things, it is obviously the primary sapper of time these days.

But you know what?  This was right.  It didn’t just *seem* right, it was right.  Yes, I signed up for this event, this summer here in NY/NJ, for the team and the cause.  This is the first time TNT created an Ironman team and there was no guaranty it would ever happen again.  I am constantly reminded of the importance and impact of our actions through friends and my fellow teammates have some amazing stories and survival and some tragic stories of loss.  I’m honored to be doing the Ironman with Team in Training.  It would mean much less to me otherwise.

So thank you, everyone, for your support.  Thank you for your donations.  Thanks for caring and being interested in this little journey of mine.  I plan on kicking serious ass in Syracuse on Sunday.  If that excites you into dropping a few (more) dollars into the fundraising pot, that would inspire me.  Though, I'm already pretty damned inspired.

Shelly (left) is currently battling leukemia and just completed her first half marathon in Lake Placid.  Amy, running in Shelly's honor, just finished her first full marathon.  They also raised thousands of dollars for the cause.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck Joel! You will do great in your 'practice race'. Hardcore!

    ReplyDelete