Friday, July 13, 2012

Colline

Our first ride together was in Prospect Park, tackling the North Hill about 11 times.  It was in November, I believe.  At that point I had my bike for over a year already, but hadn't yet taken her out for a spin.  But just months earlier, I committed to this Ironman, and it was time to see what state of cycling fitness I would be starting my training from. We did about 33 miles that day and I was pooped by the end.

My cousin Chrissy and her husband Chris own and operate a TREK store in Greensboro, NC.  If you need a bike, service, advice, or whatever, give them a visit.  They are awesome.  My siblings and I made the trip to visit them during their grand opening weekend.  Though overwhelmingly busy, Chris still made time for me.  I didn't know what I was getting into, but Chris held my hand and walked me through the process from price point to fit (really- I got a 2 hour fitting session).  My brother and I bought bikes that same night.

Chris believed the Madone 4.5 was right for me.  I know now that he was dead on.

Just as when I run, I was able to see the world from a different perspective on the bike.  Riding through Brooklyn and cutting across Manhattan to get to the bike path wasn't as scary as I had thought it would be.  Riding from the GW north back into NY from NJ gave me a sense of accomplishment and planted the seed of wondering whether I would ride all the way to my parent's house, 180ish miles away, some day.

The hills of the Adironacks as well as the Catskills didn't disappoint in their visual beauty or in the challenge they posed.  I got some damn good, unexpected hill training on some weekends, that's for sure.  There always seemed to be hills...

This bike model, the Trek Madone, was named so by Lance Armstrong, after a challenging climb he would do to test himself in the Alps. After my several rides over these past months, culminating with the Syracuse 70.3 event, it occurred to me that my bike should be named for the hills we tackled together.

So I named her Colline- French for "hill".  Here are a few pictures of our adventures together so far.  Enjoy!

About to be fitted.  March 2011.


Chris, attaching Colline to the mount, during my fitting session. March 2011.


Eleven loops of Prospect Park- one of our first rides. November 2011

Colline and the Kreitler rollers, which I've spent dozens of hours on (and sometimes falling off). Winter 2012.
  
 Rolling along for hours and hours... But it did wonders for my stability and form. Winter 2012.  

 
Looking south from the George Washington Bridge at dusk on our first ride to NJ. Winter 2012

Crossing back into NY State on our first ride up 9W. Spring 2012.

That's the Tappan Zee Bridge.  We turned round just passed this and headed home to complete a 74 mile ride that day. Spring 2012.

Part of the Ironman Lake Placid course- serious Adironack climbs. June 2012.


On the Lake Placid Ironman Course, Route 9N.  June 2012.

Took pic by mistake, but it's kind of cool. June 2012.

On Route 86, turned back toward Lake Placid.  June 2012.
View on the return to Lake Placid, Route 86, on the Lake Placid Ironman course.  June 2012.

I assumed we'd see some hills on Route 20, but boy was that an understatement.  June 2012.


Rout 20 on my way toward Otsego from my parent's house.  Yes, that's the road climbing into the sky ahead of me.  June 2012.

Farmland in the Catskills, off Route 20.  June 2012.


Stopping at Stewart's on Route 20 for some water, Gatorade, and salt.  June 2012.

Syracuse 70.3 bike course profile. June 24, 2012.


Racked at the transition area of the Syracuse 70.3.  June 24, 2012.
On the course during the Syrauce 70.3.  June 24, 2012.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe I should name my running shorts....

    But seriously, amazing photos.

    ReplyDelete