Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Spring Exponents

Sunday came sooner than I was expecting.  The result was a 1:41:41(ish) half marathon time- better than I was expecting, though worse than I was hoping.  I paced myself well and maybe held back more than I had to, but only slightly. I achieved negative splits, managing the head and tail winds well.  Nothing ached and nothing was strained.  The race itself was small- no medal and only gun time. Of 348 finishers, I placed 74th which puts me in the top 21%. The results are still far from where I want to be  But all in all it was a good outing.

I've barely gotten in any speed work.  I did a few hill repeats with Laura a couple weeks ago and some fartleks during my urban commute workouts.  I was tentative about pushing because my base wasn't feeling substantial enough.  But I now have 4 straight weeks of 30+ miles each, including a half marathon race, done.  I'm recovering nicely from the race and am hungry for speed.

The Thursday Thriller workout has been a great midweek short recovery session.  With my urban commute workout and coaching miles the night before, only about 12-13 hours separate these two workouts.  The SCBkR crew has been a great motivator, from Laura's texts to Kris's puppy pics to Amanda's photo directing... and brunch!  Yes- brunch on a Thursday.  I have yet to make it, but it's definitely a priority.

Thursday Thriller crew.
So I've taken down about 300 miles for the year and am on a 144 mile per month pace currently.  I don't expect that to be my final average, but -just gonna geek out a bit here- if it were so over all 12 months, my year total would be 123.  I know, I'm a dork.

Next stop- a 5k test in about a month.  Time to reacquaint myself with North Hill!

0 comments:

Post a Comment