Saturday, May 30, 2015

Comrades - Ultra Fun Runs

Amanda and I did a course bus tour today, learned about the history of Comrades, saw all the hills firsthand (it's basically all hills), had an emotional visit children of the Ethembeni School, and picked up some last minute advice. This is truly like nothing else I've done before. Trying to wrap my head around it will be a game day, step by step effort. It's hard for me to size up a course of this magnitude, both its distance and elevation gain.

 Ethembeni School Children are about to perform.
When do I know that it's ok to go? I mean, at what point do I feel confident enough to lay it all out? For a marathon, that's usually mile 22ish for me. But I don't think the math works in a way that can extrapolate this point to Comrades. It would imply maybe 9 miles left, or 15k. That nicely fits the highest elevation point on the course, but still leaves three nasty hills until the end. In fact, even the last bit is an incline. I mean, go big or go home, right?

So tonight I'll think a bit about this and other things. Tomorrow I'll figure it all out. Do I have a race plan? Yeah, I kinda do now, but it really didn't come together until today, talking to veterans, reading the latest South African edition of Runner's World, and seeing all the hills. I'm feeling pretty good and before I start kicking tomorrow, I'd like to reflect on the runs that got me here, working around holidays, travel, and battling through that long cold winter.

Putnam Road & GTS Brooklyn
It was my first Long Slow Hill run and the first of my back to back longs. I decided to climb up Putnam Road, a very steep incline, rather than doing my usual Mariaville Road route. Definitely zapped my legs and the next day's 3 hour run with TNT was hard. This was a Friday night/Saturday morning combo. 1,200 feet elevation gain on first day, five hours total for the two days.

Putnam Road passed Rynex Corners and back

Daniel Webster & Williamsburg Bridge Repeats
You've seen the bridge chart. The first half of this back to back was a wicked early traditional Daniel Webster run with friends. Rather than take the subway up to Central Park, I ran there. 1,800 feet of elevation gain on the second day, 5 1/2 hours total for the two days.

Daniel Webster buddies. An unscheduled poop break made me too late for the photo.

Virginia Beach Half & Full
I ran to the night before pasta dinner, mapping out 13.1 miles. Then we all got up for the event itself, 26.2 more miles for me, my first ever marathon distance training run. Started bonking around mile 18 and realized it, thankfully, so I started eating more calories. I tried to keep it EZ pace, but with just a couple miles left, I just wanted to be done and sped up. I'll need to learn patience.

Though I ran at an EZ training pace, PRs were had! 

Tenerife Climbs
Just back from a calf strain, and hills all around me on my work trip to the Canary Islands (I know, hard life), I did a series of short steep climbs. Photos will come (didn't bring them to South Africa with me). Three runs in four days, 16.5 miles, 2,500 feet of elevation gain.

Lake Minnewaska & JFK 5K Plus
Went up to Coach Michael's place in New Paltz with the team and had an awesomely beautiful and hilly run, logging 26.2 on the trails and taking in the views. The next day I joined Amanda for the JFK 5K (where she took third place female) and added miles/time where I could- in the fenced off waiting area, going in a bunch of circles. I'm pretty proud of this one. 2,350 feet of elevation gain on first day, tons of circles on the second. Over six hours of running total. (more photos to come)

Third place female and her entourage.
5K on the run way, the remaining 10.5 miles in these loops.

Windy Friday & Ultra GTS Saturday
I must have been a sight that night, dressed in not enough clothes, freezing, and cursing at the wind.  I mean literally saying, "fuck you wind!" every time a big gust blew dirt in my face and threatened to freeze my fingers off. Winter was still clinging on during this late April run. The next morning I got up wicked early, knocked off 12 miles before GTS, then 12 more with GTS, and finished up my first ultra run. It was five hours and 32.4 miles long. Together for the two days I logged 7 hours and 46.5 miles.

Bear Mountain Weekend
It was the Bear Mountain Team's weekend to shine and shine they did. I went up both days to see them start and finish. And while they were out tackling the very tough trails, I took to the road, doing Bear Mountain Observatory repeats both days. 6,200 feet of elevation gain, 7 hours of running for two days. Definitely was a confidence booster. (more pics to come)
Three trail 50Kers and one road 50Ker.

This was my out-and-back repeat route both Saturday and Sunday.

Brooklyn Half Coaching
I logged about 16 miles while supporting the team during the Brooklyn Half. It was an awesome morning.
The awesome TNT Summer Season Brooklyn Half Marathon team

Thames River Run
Why didn't I take a picture? Regardless, running with James and Amanda along the Thames in London- what would be my last real run before Comrades- was awesome. What a great way to wrap up training and a fantastic way to start this vacation.

So tomorrow is Comrades. My bib is 26523. Apparently you can track me on the Comrades.com site. Also, you can track me if you download the UltimateLive App on your mobile device and enter in my info. And if I can figure it out, my Facebook wall will post updates.

Pietermaritzburg here I come!

0 comments:

Post a Comment