Friday, July 8, 2011

(Mid)Sole Searching

Once upon a time, I was introduced to what I thought was the perfect running shoe, the Asics DS Trainer (version 11).  Since Asics altered the fit and feel (they're on like version 16 or so), I haven't been using them and I've been quite sad about this.  But a few weeks back, I spotted Asics re-released DS Racer which look exactly like the shoe I've been pining for... And in a moment of weakness, I bought them.

Asics DS Racers 8

What makes me weak is not the fact that I'm addicted to running shoes.  Sure, I've purchased over a dozen in the last few months.  But I think there's a normal explanation for that.  What makes me weak is that even though I know these shoes will not help me with this new midsole strike I am trying to master, I was longing for the days when I didn't put so much thought or effort into it and just ran.  I miss those days.  Slipping on the DS Trainers for the first time back in 2006 made me feel like a speed demon.  Wearing them at any time made me want to just take off running.  These days my calves are sore and my ankles and tendons ache.  I don't feel fast (because I am not) and I grimace at the thought of putting on running shoes.  Not happy.  Where is the love?

The DS Racers did not disappoint.  They felt exactly like those magical shoes that I remember.  In fact, they were even better because they were lighter. But when I started running back and forth in my apartment, I discovered that they feel like every other firm shoe with a substantial heel to toe drop I've been wearing- they weren't right for me.  I knew they wouldn't be.  Even though they hugged my foot like they were made just for me, when I landed with a midsole strike, they just didn't feel right.  Too firm.  Heel was too high.  I got none of the magic.

So I started heel striking just to see- I was desperate for that feeling of ease again...

------------------

While in San Diego with Coach Jack Daniels, a coach wearing Vibrim FiveFinger shoes suggested that there was a correct way of striking the ground- forefoot.

"I don't believe all this talk about one foot strike being better than another," Coach answered back.  "There are all these methods out there- Chi Running and The Pose Running... They get you to follow their programs and what happens is you naturally start taking quicker steps!"  Coach Daniels was referring to the emphasis he put on taking and maintaining 180 steps per minute. He believed that there was no evidence that heel striking led to more injuries.  He felt that over striding led to more injuries and taking 180 steps per minute not only made a runner more efficient, but deterred over striding.  "Don't get me wrong.  I love those things," he said as he pointed to the footwear.

Coach believes barefoot and minimalist running are important training tools, but not meant to be done for long distances. But he dismissed the fact that modern running shoes were evil and supported his argument with his experience working in the Nike Shoe labs.

For the 1500 or so miles I ran in the DS Trainer v11 shoes, I never had an injury. Going back to these shoes and heel striking may not be so bad...

-----------

As I took a few running strides, landing on my heel, the shoes reminded me why it was so easy.  That gel cushioning in the heel is great. And the way my foot transition from heel to toe was very responsive and light.  These DS Racers are great.  But I wasn't feeling great.  I was feeling, well, bouncy.  And inefficient. How did I ever run this way?

I am in limbo.

I took one shoe off and studied it, as if my stare could draw out the magic that I've been longing for.  I love these shoes, but I can no longer run in them.  It was like spending time with an ex-girlfriend.  I remember the great times we had and the miles we covered.  But I'm in a different place in my (running) life now.  We just don't fit together like we once did.

----------

Alberto Salazar's responses to Amby Birdfoot's questions in an interview from last summer in Runner's World is something that I reflect on."There has to be one best way of running. It's got to be like a law of physics."  Granted, Salazar is not a physicist and his own form while competing wasn't perfect by any means, but the claim just seems to make sense.  Can everyone master the "best way of running"?  Should they?  Should I be trying?

What motivated me was my mystery calf injury.  At this point I'm pretty sure over-pronation caused it. And over striding and heel striking caused that (along with my imperfect feet).  Hence the change.  But I'm not out here trying to compete with the world's elite.  I just want to stay healthy.  And maybe Coach Daniels is right- if I just don't over stride and keep to 180 steps per minute, I'll be fine with a heel strike.
----------------

I removed the other shoe and slipped on my Merrill Trail Gloves.These shoes feel great.  But they are too minimalist, basically Vibrims without the toes, for me to run high mileage in at this point.  I ran back and forth to compare with my running in the DS Racers.  The Trail Gloves just felt right.  Damn.  I took them off and slipped into my Altra Instincts which are also zero drop and have no support.  They basically feel like running in slippers. My form felt quite good, but I need more support.  Perhaps because my feet aren't strong enough.  These shoes weren't quite right either.  I turned to the Saucony Fastwitch shoes that I have most recently been running in.  They are too firm.  Then I moved to the Nike Frees... Yes, I've got a lot of shoes, but my huge collection is driven by my desire to run with ease once again.  I look forward to the day when I have, at most, two pairs in my rotation.

I sat on the couch and picked the DS Racers back up.  They even felt great in my hands.  There are runs where I believe I have found my midsole stride and others where I just feel awkward. With a large sigh, I repacked the shoes.  They aren't doing me any good right now; I need closure on that part of my running life.  The DS Racers are going back to the store. I don't quite have the solution yet, but I have to keep the faith.  Things will get better.*

* They have already gotten better.  Details to come!

4 comments:

  1. OK, I skimmed this before while I was at work (and I clicked through to the Jack Daniels post halfway through...) Now I've actually read it and can leave a more thoughtful comment. I think one big piece you're leaving out is how much you ramped up in speed and distance. That's got to be the #1 direct cause of injuries. When you were ramping up to BQ your speed increased pretty drastically then, as a coach, you've had to run tons of extra miles on training runs (at wildly varying paces) in addition to your own training. All that stuff takes a toll too! Overall your form is really good. It annoys me when people say form isn't important, because there are some people whose form looks like a path to injury. Ultimately that over-striding heel strike was probably your "achilles heel" so to speak, that was fine when you were running like a normal person but once you hit coach/serious runner status started aggravating things. I came to the whole mid/forefoot running thing at the same time I was working on increasing my leg turnover to that golden 180 spm and I found really dramatic increases in speed and efficiency. Honestly, I'm not sure you could maintain 180 with that huge overstriding heel strike for very long, which leads me to agree with coach Daniels that perhaps concentrating on maintaing the 180 cadence is really the best way to go because it really forces you to be more efficient with your form. Your asterix indicates you've already had another epiphany, looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Lady SouthpawYou're right about the speed increase, Erin. I mentioned that in an earlier blog somewhere- that my form got sloppier as my speed got faster. That severe over stride of mine wasn't an issue until I started pushing myself. It may not have even existed outside of speed work.

    Yup, I think I've had a breakthrough of sorts. Post will come soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to hear the breakthrough!!

    You know that I am not wild about the minimal shoes, but everybody has to do what's best for them... You are so committed to your training and coaching that I know you will find your perfect solution soon.

    You didn't describe how you feel about the Nike Frees... I am curious about those because I want some. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @racheljohnsonBreakthrough post coming!

    I like the Nike Frees quite a bit. I recommend you give them a shot. I'll be posting a blurb on each of the shoes I tried... coming soon!

    ReplyDelete