Thursday, August 27, 2009

Midnight Run(s)

Occasionally because of long hours at the office, I get home late and end up running around midnight. That has happened twice this week. It's not ideal. But I have put myself in a situation where I have two important and time consuming goals that will be realized at about the same time: End of October. One is of course the NYC Marathon. The other is a large and involved work thing concerning databases and such.

It has been a good week.

I am lucky enough to have a colleague from our Italian office, MZ, here to help. He, along with JS and SR from India, has been working late every day with me to be as productive with this week as possible. I think we have made good progress. There's a ton of work left and I will be pulling 6-7 day work weeks of 10-12 hours per day... It's basically an endurance event in and of itself. Why do I do such things? I guess I really love a challenge and/or I'm psychotic.

My runs have been good. I feel healthy again. I ran a nice 10.2 mile stretch last Saturday. Sunday I did some leg strengthening at the gym, and Monday I had a nice 8.6 mile tempo run (at midnight). When I run at midnight in Prospect Park, I feel like I own the place and any other scant person I see is just passing through. The air is cool and crisper. A few people linger from the evening parties they just had and I can hear conversation and laughter. Jim runs across my path in search for picnic scraps (he's a raccoon. Yes, I named him Jim). It's my park; these are my roads and my running lanes and my hills. I own them.

And then they turn the lights off.

Yes, at some time after midnight, the lights in the 9th Street entrance go off. The main road inside the park is still lit, but getting out of the park on Monday (then Tuesday am) I had the feeling I could twist my ankle at any moment. Oh the gods of fate would have laughed at me if I had. Last night's run (my trusty North Hill / Tempo combo!) finished just before midnight so I didn't have the same issue. I should be smart though, and just slow down if that happens. I'll think about that for next time.

My brother called yesterday to ask about running shoes and a running club upstate. He's taking this running thing seriously and I'm proud! I look forward to running with him soon. I still have to email him the "plan" I drew up earlier this month. Yeah, I'm lame. It's just been sitting in my computer. Tonight, I promise.

Last week I posted 24.6 miles. This week I should be close to 41 miles. Feeling strong, and hopefully getting fast.

0 comments:

Post a Comment