Tuesday, September 8, 2009

20:13

I ran a 5k *test* with my Team In Training group last Tuesday to measure my progress over the summer. The good new is that I improved substantially even though I was out of commission for nearly two months. I shaved over a minute off my time (including running into a little girl- she's ok). The bad news is I'm not yet fast enough to be comfortable with my pace. But, really, that's not that bad. And I'm happy to have seen improvement. I clocked in a 6:32/mile pace compared to my previous best of 6:47/mile. If this were the Troy Turkey Trot I ran last year, I would have placed 4th in my age group right behind my running pal, MP (of Consistency Intensity Rest (repeat) fame). We had planned on taking 1st and 2nd this year, but our individual injuries have hampered that. So we're aiming for 2010 now.

Reach The Beach is ten days away. This is the annual 200+ mile relay race I run with 10 other crazy runners(including MP). It takes us about 30 hours total, I get little to no sleep, and will run 4 legs for a total of 24 miles this year. It is a blast. Can you imagine being in a van with 5 others for 30 hours straight? We are insane, and that really is what makes it fun. Our chemistry and this common bond we have of submitting ourselves to the torture of running these miles and taxing our bodies, testing our limits. I love it. This will be a nice test for me (since the NY Half could not be).

My IT band in my *good* leg started acting up last week. Yesterday I couldn't run more than 2 miles... sound familiar? Well, I treated it last night, did some low impact strengthening instead, and expect to be ok today for a 7-10 mile tempo interval workout. I should be excited about this, but I'm pretty tired right now. I was up late last night working. Ah, but once I'm on the road I'll feel better.

0 comments:

Post a Comment